Saturday 24 July 2010

Hotel complex


One of the lily flowers in a small pond in the hotel gardens



Waterfront area close to the hotels
Fiji- 11th July 2010
Dark when I arrived, picked up from the airport and had a good conversation with the driver. During the evening he is the coordinator between the police and various hotels/clubs. Hotel is a sprawling complex of 2 storey buildings set in gardens. Land one side and sea the other split into ocean and inlet to Port Denarau. Plenty of sandy beaches to laze on but very empty despite plenty of people in the resort.
Dinner was buffet style and as I missed out on NZ oysters I had half a dozen as a starter. Not as good as Dubai but enjoyed my meal. Saturday spent chilling out, was hot and overcast for most of the day. Walked to Port Denarau and looked around, not a lot to see, very few boats around. Had a kip in the afternoon then walked around the complex. From where the hotel is situated you do not get a good feel of the real Fiji. One thing that was lacking was the tour information. Most hotels are there at the beginning wanting to entice you out on tours, which makes the lack of interest strange as tourism is the biggest income. All the local people very polite, greeting is "bulla" which is used by all that you meet.
Buffet dinner in the evening, no real change in the food - if that continues the fare could get quite boring, still enjoyed a few Talisker whiskeys - £100 for 4 drinks???? must be mental. Plenty of aussies here as school holidays.
Sunday spent loafing on the beach - ocean side. hardly anyone on the beach. Do not find the water that warm. Love watching the shore crabs come out of their burrows and rush about the waters edge scavenging, as soon as danger lurks back down their burrows they go. At high tide all their burrows covered by water, but as I had to be back for my lift to the airport for 1600 hours missed the crabs emerging.
Transport on time and efficient staff in airport. One difference though was that passengers on both USA flights had to go through a full body search, one through you were then quarantined from all other passengers. Had to wait in a tight stuffy area for about 2 hours. Still boarded on time and sort of enjoyed the overnight flight.
Over all I did not get a good feeling with Fiji. One thing that I was disappointed with was the lack of Internet cover, my phone told me I did not have SIM card installed and whilst I could get some access to Internet I could not skype at all, and being Sunday wished to catch up with my parents. I do not think I will be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment